Our Mission, Principles, and Values
We are a diverse multigenerational faith community that inspires lives of compassion and generosity, nurtures spiritual growth, cultivates transformative connections, and creates a more just world.
Welcome to Unitarian Universalism. We are brave, curious, and compassionate thinkers and doers. We are diverse in faith, ethnicity, history, and spirituality, but aligned in our desire to practice our faith in tangible ways. We are believers in what is good, what is right, and what is just.
We affirm seven Principles:
1st principle: The inherent worth and dignity of every person
2nd principle: Justice, equity and compassion in human relations
3rd principle: Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations
4th principle: A free and responsible search for truth and meaning
5th principle: The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large
6th principle: The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all
7th principle: Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.
We have radical roots and a history as self-motivated spiritual people: we think for ourselves and actively object to what we believe is wrong. We have a track record of standing on the side of love, justice, and peace.
The values we hold in common are justice, connection, generosity, compassion, and spirituality.
We create and nurture relationships…
Respecting different spiritual journeys, the people of USNH find inspiration and a safe place to:
- Develop our best selves
- Worship and explore opportunities for spiritual growth
- Live with more joy and open-heartedness
- Experience a connection to something larger than ourselves
- Find meaning and purpose in our lives
- Articulate our Unitarian Universalist identity
USNH is a congregation of welcome and connection, where people of all ages:
- Treat one another with respect
- Give and receive support in times of joy, sorrow and transition
- Embrace diversity
- Engage in life-long learning
- Generously give of ourselves and our resources
The people of USNH, together and with our partners, act on our values in the larger world. We:
- Advance justice in our community and beyond
- Expand our understanding and awareness of social and environmental issues
- Develop new understanding of ourselves and others through our justice work
- Contribute our resources to strengthen Unitarian Universalism